Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ring the alarm

Before I found out I was pregnant, I had scheduled a gyno appointment to get back on birth control. As you can imagine that appointment was no longer needed and they re-scheduled me for December 23rd. This gave Dino and I the idea to wait until the holiday to tell our families and to make sure the first appointment went well. 

The morning of December 23rd I was a nervous wreck. We sat in the waiting room for almost 45 minutes (thinking they forgot us) until we finally went back. We do all the usually checks: weight, pulse, blood pressure, and were finally motioned to a room with a Ultrasound machine and a gown. "Take it all off," says the nurse in her very strong accent that I couldn't place. I undressed quickly and kept telling myself all the bad news I might get. I didn't want Dino or myself to get our hopes up only to be dissapointed later. Finally the Dr. came in.

 Because I was only 8 weeks and the baby was so small, the doctor decided to do a vaginal sonogram. This is where they put this little machine inside you and the the sonogram from inside rather than on your belly.  This was very uncomfortable exspecially with your husband of only 10 months standing over your shoulder with a smile that went from ear to ear. The doctor could not even find my uterus because my bladder was so full from anxiety. I threw on my jeans and shirt and ran down the hall to the bathroom. While emptying my bladder pants around my ankles, I hear, "CODE RED, CODE RED, PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING IMMEDIATLEY!!" I ran back to my room where my doctor and Dino waited with the news that our hospital was on fire, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? JUST MY LUCK. 

I walked down 7 flights of stairs with no underwear or bra only to be told it was a false alarm. While waiting 15 minutes to get back on the elevator and wondering if this day could get any worse, when standing across from me was my doctor. The same doctor that moments earlier had been staring and analyzing my crotch! Okay so maybe she wasn't analyzing it, but she was a lot closer to it than I let everyone else! All I could think about was how this doctor was probably looking at me thinking, "I hate my job. I have to go back up there and deal with this woman and her crotch again." (After I told my mom this story she assured me this woman probably was not thinking this considering her job.) 

As we finally got settled back in our room, the doctor came in, and the sonogram began. Moments later we saw Baby T's heartbeat and the baby all snuggled up. The picture was very fuzzy and you really couldn't see anything that resembled a baby, but I knew it was my baby. It was one of the most precious things I have ever seen and will never forget it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment